Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Workshop Reflection


I had a positive experience with workshopping. I enjoyed it. It’s always constructive to give and receive feedback during a creative process. Usually, however, i give and receive feedback as notes on a paper and this was the first time it ever became confrontational. I haven’t had much exposure to poems throughout my life-it’s probably the one style I don’t read much of-so it was hard to nit pick what worked and what didn’t. Some things that I found bothersome and unnecessary others claimed were these powerful techniques that only the greatest poetic writers used. This process gave me a better understanding of poetry as I could see it working right before my eyes. I enjoyed the way workshop was run as well. I found it easier to become comfortable with giving constructive feedback if the author knew what worked in their poem first. In the beginning, it was hard for me to criticize another person’s work. I felt like I was being mean. However, after my own revision process for my poem “Michael” I began to become unafraid of sharing my opinion. The editing of my own work was probably my favorite part of workshop. I actually liked hearing how others interpreted my piece. It’s interesting to me how different people will view the same thing. One person will see things in someone’s work that may be completely hidden to others. I thought I was being clear about what the “ivory curves” were, but the class had trouble understanding it. This goes to show how any art or expression of creativity is entirely subjective, and once it is exposed to the world, the artist has no control over how it will be received. 

1 comment:

  1. Carmen,
    I totally agree with you, on the fact how poetry is very subjective and sometimes the audience cannot understand the whole picture because he/she is not in the writer's shoes. The fact that you mention your poem especially on the part "ivory curves" really gives justice to this concept. I also never had this much exposure to poems, and never even written any. But this class and the process of workshop made me really enjoy poetry and love many aspects about it. I thought your poem "Michael" was absolutely beautiful, it was filled with strong emotions, imagery, metaphors, and so much more.

    ReplyDelete