Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Reflections on Workshop

             Poetry workshop was an entirely new experience for me and one that I thoroughly enjoyed. One of my greatest flaws is being fearful of critique. Therefore, I was a bit worried when Dr. Groner introduced us to workshop—just the idea of reading my poem aloud for others to critique gave me an overwhelming amount of anxiety. My fear was that no one would like my poem or that my poem would be weak compared to others.
            Needless to say, workshop was the best thing that could ever happen to me as a writer and I am so happy with how it turned out. It was a pleasant feeling to have when others discuss your work in front of you and you aren’t able to defend your work or respond back. You just have to take it all in and it made me reflect on not just this particular poem but all my other work as a writer.
            Workshop has made me completely change the way I feel about critique and now I am more confident to show my work to others and to be more open. It was a delightful learning experience and I loved how we came together as a class to praise each other’s work as well as providing suggestions to make our work stronger.

            I feel like every college student should experience workshop at least once in their academic career because it serves as a great foundation to hear critique in the most rawest and genuine way. I absolutely loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment