Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Reflection on Workshopping (benefits/drawbacks)

Having experienced workshopping in class for several weeks now I am able to thoughtfully recognize the benefits and drawbacks of it. With that I am able to conclude that there are more benefits than drawbacks from workshopping. The intentions of workshopping are nothing like the intentions of critiquing. The point of workshopping is finding ways of improvement for the piece not to criticize it. Now the drawbacks of workshopping lie at this thin line of criticizing. The point of workshopping is not to discourage the writer to the point where they no longer want to continue improving their piece however, it is suppose to inspire the writer to do better. Similar to the way Burroway states in the text book - refrain yourself from using "I like", "I don't like", "this works", "this doesn't work"... The drawbacks of workshopping arise when these certain words are used in a workshop. Whenever I am workshopping a piece I always like to look back on page 11 of Burroway and use the helpful tips on how to workshop a piece properly. The outcomes of a workshop are intended to be beneficial which is why I view them in this sense. After a workshop I would hope to see improvement in my piece because I have been able to thoughtfully listen to the advisement of my piers. As times passes I am able to use the time to apply the advisement to my writing in order to improve it. However, a beneficial outcome may not arise from a workshop if the advice given from my piers does not aid in improving my piece. If the act if workshopping is done correctly and the tips from Burroway are applied then I believe that workshops benefit rather than drawback.

No comments:

Post a Comment