Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Poetry Workshop

Honestly, the poetry workshop was a new experience for me. One, that at the beginning was full of fear and anxiety. I give props for the person that went first. Because i would never be able to do that without a minor panic attack to say the least.
However, above all i think it was very useful. When i read the instructions about how this is a privilege, i didnt really understand it until i experienced it. In reality it is such a rare experience to having so many people take apart your writing and criticize it. There's growth that comes from such criticism. Having a classroom full of student take the time to read your writing and pinpoint what is wrong with it helps. Believe it or not. And i want to thank all of you who gave my writing such importance. To say the truth, when it was my turn to read my poem i was freaking out, as to be expected. I read it a few times before class just to be sure. And i knew you will all hate it. I compared myself to some other poems written in class, and i knew for sure i sucked to put it in colloquial terms. When you went around saying what you liked my poem, you literally took my breath away with all your compliments whether they were sincere or not. I appreciated that, and i needed to hear that, and i would like you to know that you put a smile on my face for that whole day.
I spent a few days after that working on your suggestions to make my poem even better. And some of the lines that i thought were terrible were actually one of your favorites, which caught me by surprise. Honestly, the idea for this poem came to a surprise to me, so i was really awaiting your response to it. Im glad it was a good one.
Overall workshop was an amazing experience, there was a great balance between compliments and criticism. And though quite intimidating, i wish i could have this for every piece i write.

No comments:

Post a Comment