Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Reflections on Poetry Workshop

I have so enjoyed poetry workshop.  I loved that we start each edit going around and talking about something we like about a poem and then making suggestions.  I also liked the opportunity to write little notes all over a poem because personally, I love scribbling all over a poem while analyzing it.  The most trouble I have had so far is actually writing the poem... It's one of those things where the infinite possibilities make it even harder to narrow down and come up with just one piece.  I really wish we had more time to workshop ALL of the poems that we make a part of our portfolio, because I think the whole process really makes the poems that much better.  Also, discussing them with each other is really good for bouncing ideas back and forth.  I can't tell you how many times listening to someone else talk about a certain poem (or line or stanza, etc.) made me see a different perspective.

At first I was terrified to show others my poem, but it ended up being a really awesome experience and I'm so glad to have gained so much new insight.  I think it will only benefit my poetry... No drawbacks!! Except that we don't have time for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment