Thursday, April 9, 2015

Short Story Techniques-Emergency



I really enjoyed the story Emergency by Denis Johnson. It was interesting to me how the author chose to tell the story. He uses separate scenes that have honestly not much to do with each other in order to convey to the reader Georgie's character. I found this very realistic. When I'm describing someone to someone else, I often use anecdotes to give someone a full picture. The story is about Georgie and the main character’s relationship, and in that way doesn’t have an arc or this big climactic ending, it’s just a re-telling. I also enjoyed how the author used dialogue to tell his story as well. When we meet people, we form our opinions about them by listening to what they say and watching what they do. We aren’t given spreadsheets of a person’s likes and dislikes or characteristics-which can often be seen in writing. In reality, we have to be shown these things, and Johnson does a great job of showing Georgie and the main character’s personalities through their conversations together.  

No comments:

Post a Comment