Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Short Story Reflection

Getting into the short story unit, especially right after poetry , was a bit difficult to accustom to the change. I saw poetry as saying the most possible with the least amount of words. Both use figurative language, specific diction and syntax, and especially drawing attention to details to get their story across. From the stories we have read, my favorite is probably “A Story About the Body” and this is technically not under the short story category at all. However, it manages to express everything and make the reader feel within sentences. The key difference  between poetry and stories is that in stories you have more room to expand, to really get into detail. I've realized that a short story can be from a paragraph to ten pages long, like "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been" by Joyce Carol Oates. In class we’ve gone over the main components of a short story: context, characters, and conflicts. However, these simple prerequisites can be interpreted in an endless amount of ways, and I find it crucial to know what you want to write even before you pick up the pen. At least for me, I constantly find myself changing the storyline. It’s infuriating but at the end I always find myself leading to a cliché, and I have yet to find a way to combat this propensity. Having so much room to expand opens all kinds of doors, some of which are better left closed. Believe it or not having too many options can be problematic. One thing that catches my eye in short stories is the fact that the author is able to paint a whole world for the reader, paying attention to detail. And I guess all writers due that regardless of the genre, but in this story this world is fictional, and we get to stay in it for a while. It’s not too long like a novel, and not too short like a poem. Instead, it is a happy middle. In my opinion, it requires a lot of talent to find the perfect balance to bring those elements together into a successful short story. 

2 comments:

  1. Ruth,
    I loved how you talked about the transition from poetry to short-story. I actually feel the same way. How poetry uses figurative language , and short story gives every bit of detail for the readers to feel everything the author wants. I loved reading "Where Are You Going, Where Have You Been," it is so well written and described that Oates successfully make her readers realize what is about to happen without even telling. A short story requires a lot of critical thinking and analysis and I believe Oates beautifully does it. I really enjoyed reading you post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruth & Sumaita,

    I agree that transition is a very important aspects towards creating a short-story. When a transition is done well in a short story it makes it easier for the reader to pick apart what is going on in the story and develop a better idea of what is going on. In the story "where are you going, where have you been" the author is able to develop a better understanding of the story for Oates's particular audience.

    ReplyDelete