Friday, April 17, 2015

DT Max

This talk was very different from all the other ones I’ve been to. Because this man was a biographer, his presentation was mostly on the subject of his biography. Therefore, instead of talking about his personal, like most guest speakers end up doing, the talk was mostly on David Foster Wallace.
To be completely honest the conversation actually inspired me to go read some David Foster Wallace. I don’t think I’ve ever read anything by him, and if I did I don’t particularly recall. However, his life is pretty fascinating and I would love to see how that reflects in his writing.
I loved the fact that he was so smart, often smarter than everybody in the room even in graduate school. Also the fact that he was a competitor, David would not settle by getting his degree in whatever university; he needed to go to Harvard.
David Foster Wallace said, “I just don’t have enough gas right now to do things so well or so fast. And I’m trying to be okay with that.” Of all the talk, this line caught my attention and I needed to write it down because it is so real. As a perfectionist myself, I really understand where this sentiment is coming from.

Even though he was so smart, and had so many talents and abilities, David was not happy. He hated himself. It made me think about how in reality really intelligent people are often miserable, such as Edgar Allan Poe and Albert Einstein. I guess they see the world differently, perhaps even more realistically, and the cold hard truth makes them sad. I guess this is why some people say that ignorance is bliss.  

No comments:

Post a Comment