Friday, January 30, 2015

The Language of the Brag

This poem really stood out to me from all the rest. The author has such a strong and powerful tone ham draws you in and makes you pay attention. The very first sentence refers throwing a knife, which really caught my attention. Each line she writes captures my attention more, as her words become more aggressive. I think my biggest surprise was her casual use of sexual language, using a vibrating cock as a metaphor, and later using the knife reference again saying she was stabbed in her inner sex. What's so interesting to me, is that she speaks so fiercely about the women's body, that you feel she's almost competing against the constant objectivity against the woman's body. You can tell she speaks from experience, she's watched the boys play and all she wants is to show them that she has suffered as a woman and is better for it. She's stronger, prouder and for that reason has a right to brag. I particularly love her reference to Walt Whitman and Allen Ginsberg, in what I can only imagine be an implication that as women give birth to live, they have given birth to poetry. And as they then have the right to brag about poetry, she has the right to brag about new life. What is most outstanding to me though is her use of imagery. Lines like, "straight posture and quick electric muscles" and "my huge breasts oozing mucus" are so powerful to how she's portraying the female body, and leave you with such a picture that she is describing. She spends this poem exploring the form of the Heroin, and she is so successful at making you feel like she does have every last right to brag and boast with everyone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment